12.9.06

Thumbs!

Today I overheard a guy on Commercial Drive saying: "I lost a piece of my thumb downtown. I can't believe my thumb is still downtown. My thumb is still downtown." Not surprisingly, he wasn't actually talking to another person. So, if anyone finds part of a thumb downtown, there's a guy on the Drive looking for it.

And speaking of thumbs, a friend of mine recently had surgery to fix the tendons in his thumb. With the broken tendons his thumb was permanently bent and he had no control over it. They fixed it by taking the tendons from his forefinger and attaching them to the thumb. So now to move his thumb he has to concentrate on moving his forefinger. Seriously.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time, when we were kids, my brother locked me out of the house. Then he started making faces at me through the window. I punched him in the face through the window. A shard of glass tore through my wrist cutting 10 tendons (I was told that there are 14 tendons (for 5 digits?!)) and some veins or arteries I can't remember which. So, his face was covered in blood, the window was broken, I was still locked out of the house and to this day I have no feeling or lateral mobiliity in my little finger. I showed him.

-sparky.

SB said...

Wow, I bet he never did that again.

Anonymous said...

I left part of my thumb at Mont-Tremblant, not in downtown Vancouver.
http://westcoastdink.blogspot.com/2005/11/jip-diesel-shouldve-been-loaded.html
Jip Dogg